Our Mission  
 
     Our History    
    Membership    
    Board of Directors  
 
   
    Upcoming Events  
Society Articles
   
Events Archive    
    Annual Meeting  
    Davis Award  
Calvary Moravian Church's Historical Clock
   
       
    Our Collections              
    Donations  

In his Centennial History of Calvary Moravian Church, 1893-1993, the late Hamilton C. Horton writes:

As it worked out, Winston-Salem’s Old City Hall (located where the Reynolds Building is today) was being razed. Louis Owen, a member of Home Moravian Church and the Traffic Manager of Reynolds Tobacco Company bought the clock and gave it to Calvary Moravian Church. All we had to do was install it. But that proved a question: No one knew whether it could be fit into the belfry or whether we would have to install a single face on the gable end of the church (as was done at Home Church)

The Old Town Clock was an object of sentiment in Winston-Salem. The newspaper noted it had tolled for the funerals of prominent citizens, had rung "riot call" to rally the home guard when disturbances threatened, and had served as the Town fire alarm for years. When it was announced that the Town clock would become a part of the new Calvary sanctuary, the newspaper rejoiced that "when Third Street is extended as planned", the Church would be on an important corner and "practically in the heart of the City." The newspaper continued to extol the elevated location of Calvary Church and was delighted the sound of its bell would continue to be heard in the heart of Winston-Salem.

When in the Town Hall the Clock had been wound on Friday of each week by W.T. Vogler Jewelry Company. Hand winding by a system of pulleys continued until around 1972 when the clock was electrified. It hasn’t been as dependable since. The Seth Thomas Clock Company had built the clock itself as number 739 in the series. The works are dated February 1, 1893. The works also bear the name of A.J. Hotchkiss, whose role in the construction of the clock is unknown. The Seth Thomas Clock Company was contacted to supervise the installation of the clock and happily, was able to fit it into the belfry where, from a height of 74¼ feet, it could be heard and seen a substantial distance. It was no small job: The clock face alone measures sixty-three inches in diameter.


Today, the clock still keeps accurate time as it rings in the times and seasons for the residents surrounding Holly Avenue!

   
       
  Publications    
  Articles    
  Newsletters    
   
  WHS Shop    
   
  Contact WHS    
  Links    
   
  Search WHS    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
           
     
 
     
Winston Town Hall, 1895
Photograph: Forsyth County Public Library Photograph Collection
 
           
     
 
     
Clock in the steeple of Calvary Moravian Church, 1941
Photograph: Forsyth County Public Library Photograph Collection
 
           
     
 
     
Calvary Moravian Church before the clock was installed
Photograph: Calvary Moravian Church
 
         
     
top of page
 
                      
       
 
Copyright © 2010-2011 Wachovia Historical Society, All Rights Reserved
Web Design and Management by UpwardMedia