Wachovia Historical Society Mission
“The object of this Society shall be the Collection, preservation, and dissemination of everything relating to the history, antiquities, and literature of the Moravian Church in the South and the secular and religious development in North Carolina and the adjoining states.”
— 1895 Constitution of the
Wachovia Historical Society
Today, we continue to be steered by this mission to discover what is unknown, preserve what is, and share this information with all.
LATEST WHS NEWS
Next Guild Event: Hidden Town with Martha Hartley, Director of Moravian Research, Old Salem Museums and Gardens, as she considers the African-born people, free and enslaved, who helped shape the character of Salem;
Sunday, June 4th at 1:30 pm
Estimated time: two hours; some walking uphill and on uneven surfaces
Start: Saint Phillips Log Church,911 South Church Street in Old Salem
End: Social with Savories behind the Salem Tavern Restaurant, 736 South Main Street
Want to know more before you go?
Buy tickets at Events
Reaching from the town of Bethania through Winston-Salem, N.C., Wachovia is a tract of land settled by Moravians in the mid 18th Century.
The area is steeped in history and traditions that reach back to the original settlers. Since then, a lot has changed in the area, while other sections are as they were over 275 years ago.
From early artifacts and buildings to modern-day development, the area is rich in historical resources that the Wachovia Historical Society proudly oversees.
Through this site, we wish to engage, inform, and even entertain you with everything that celebrates a history that will soon encompass 275 years!
Adam Spach Park Project
Wachovia Historical Society is moving forward with Phase II of the Adam Spach Historical Rock House Park. Quotations are being gathered for the park’s various elements, and grant applications will be submitted in the latter part of 2023. Construction on the park is expected to begin in early 2024, with completion sometime in the latter part of 2024. Click Here For More.
To learn more about the origins of the Adam Spach Park, click here.
Upper level dining room in the 1784 Salem Tavern owned by Wachovia Historical Society and interpreted by Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
Spectacles worn by one of the founders of Hopewell Moravian Church, Henry Rippel (1758-1855), in 1802.
Lovefeast tray used in Salem, N.C. in the 19th century.
Silk gauze gown made ca. 1822 that descended in the Vogler and Fries families.
Springerle rolling pin by made by Salem silversmith John Vogler (1783-1881) in 1824 for his wife Christina Vogler (1792-1863) to use when making springerle cookies.